The Sustainability Course Directory provides students, faculty, staff, and administrators with an annual list of all sustainability-related course offerings at UT-Austin. This data is also reported as part of UT-Austin's biennial submission to the international Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System (STARS). Courses in the directory are designated as Inclusive, Foundational, and Discipline-Specific based on the following definitions:
- Inclusive: Course includes at least one sustainability topic or reading with discussion, but does not discuss or relate the topic to other topics.
- Foundational: Course includes at least two sustainability topics and a basic discussion or module of how topics are related; or addresses sustainability overall as a topic.
- Discipline-Specific: Course focuses on the application of sustainability within a specific discipline.
The Sustainability Course Directory was developed by campus sustainability staff. We are continuing to revise this process in collaboration with the Center for Teaching and Learning in order to make it more robust. We welcome your feedback and participation; please contact us if you would like to be involved. If you would like to use this course data for a research project, please reach out to us to receive a more detailed dataset. If you believe a course is missing from the directory, please let us know. Contact us with questions and comments at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2020-2021 Sustainability Course Directory
- 2019-2020 Sustainability Course Directory (available soon or upon request)
- 2018-2019 Sustainability Course Directory (available soon or upon request)
- 2017-2018 Sustainability Course Directory (available soon or upon request)
- 2016-2017 Sustainability Course Directory (available soon or upon request)
Summary of Sustainability Course Directory Data
Sustainability Course Development Awards
The Sustainability Course Development Awards program launched in 2013 to encourage integration of sustainability into existing and new courses has supported 34 new or modified courses across 20 departments serving over 13,000 students as of the fall 2021 semester.
Sustainability Degrees & Certificates
The Sustainability and Environment Degrees website is a dashboard that showcases existing undergraduate sustainability and environment degree programs and certificate opportunities at UT Austin. Sustainability-related graduate degree programs can be found here.