UT Climate Leaders Program
What is the Climate Leaders Program (Climate LEAP)?
Office of Sustainability is excited to launch the UT Climate Leaders Program in Fall 2022. The Climate Leaders Program (Climate LEAP) will offer a cohort of eight to ten students hands-on, practical experience developing a greenhouse gas emissions reduction plan for an organization. Climate LEAP is a year-long, paid, internship program (~8hr/week, $15/hr) open to undergraduates of ALL majors.
For 2022-2023, the Climate LEAP cohort will be working with four to five UT Austin colleges to develop college-level greenhouse gas emissions reduction proposals. Students will work in interdisciplinary pairs with one student acting as a Climate Analyst and the other as a Climate Engagement Specialist. Each pair will work with a single college. Climate LEAP cohort meetings will include presentations, workshops, and discussions led by experts in diverse fields, providing students with the broad knowledge base needed to be successful as future sustainability and climate professionals.
Thank you to President Hartzell and the University Budget Council for funding this new program.
What you will learn:
Through the Climate Leaders Program, all students will earn a Carbon Footprinting Certificate from University of New Hampshire. By the end of the Climate Leaders Program, all participants will be able to:
- Interpret and explain the components of a greenhouse gas inventory.
- Explain five or more strategies an organization could implement to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Identify the factors that influence the feasibility of any given emissions reduction strategy.
- Critique and prioritize emissions reduction strategies based on multiple factors such as emissions reduction impact, feasibility, equity implications, and stakeholder feedback.
- Explain how social equity is intertwined with climate action.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal communication techniques.
- Develop a professional written report.
- Develop and give an oral presentation for multiple audiences.
The Climate Analysts will also be able to:
- Analyze data to create a greenhouse gas inventory for an organization.
- Interpret greenhouse gas data and communicate results to a lay audience through data visualizations.
The Climate Engagement Specialists will also be able to:
- Implement a process for soliciting diverse stakeholder input on a greenhouse gas emissions reduction plan.
- Build relationships and facilitate a focus group to collect qualitative data.
The Climate Leaders Program will also help participating students strengthen their NACE career readiness competencies: career & self development, communication, critical thinking, equity & inclusion, leadership, professionalism, teamwork, and technology.
Applicants must be enrolled (6+ hours) UT Austin undergraduates for the Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 semesters. The Climate Leaders Program is open to ALL majors. Participants must be able to:
- attend a day-long, in-person Climate LEAP Launch on August 19, 2022
- attend meetings every Monday and Wednesday from 2:00-4:00pm during the Fall 2022 semester - these meetings will be a mix of in-person and virtual
- Spring 2023 semester meetings will also be required - dates/times TBD
- commit ~8 hours per week to the program (including work during and outside of meetings) from late August 2022 through May 2023 (not including semester breaks)
Students interested in the Climate Analyst role should have some experience with and a strong interest in:
- using Excel to organize and analyze data
- creating graphs and other visual representations of data
- thinking critically to assess information
Students interested in the Climate Engagement Specialist role should have some experience with and a strong interest in:
- public speaking and presenting
- professional interpersonal communications (written and verbal)
- engaging with a diversity of people
Upcoming Info Sessions
We strongly recommend you attend an info session if you are planning to apply for Climate LEAP.
- Wednesday, June 15 at 5:30-5:50pm - https://utexas.zoom.us/j/95909518102
- Thursday, June 23 at 12-12:20pm - https://utexas.zoom.us/j/99318454702
- Monday, June 27 at 5-5:20pm - https://utexas.zoom.us/j/99227373086
Apply to the Fall 2022 program today!
Applications for the Fall 2022 cohort are now open and due Sunday, July 10 at midnight. We especially encourage students interested in climate-related careers to apply. Whether you are interested in data analysis/strategy or communications/outreach or both - this program is for you! We are looking for diverse skill sets!
A complete application package includes the following parts:
- UT Climate Leaders Program Application Form: https://tinyurl.com/CLP-Apply2022
- Resume: Must be uploaded here. The file name MUST include your EID.
- References: 1 to 2 references (max) submitted through this form: https://tinyurl.com/CLP-Reference2022. One on-campus reference is preferred. The form must be completed by your reference, not by you, the student applicant. References are also due by July 10 and it is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure references are submitted on time.
Selection criteria include:
- Degree to which the program aligns with and supports the student’s career goals
- Preparedness for the program (including academics, data analysis or communications skills, leadership experience or potential, climate change experience, work ethic, professionalism, etc.)
- Commitment to the Climate Leaders Program and climate change solutions
- Brings a unique perspective to the program
- Strength of professional/academic reference(s)
The UT Office of Sustainability is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we strongly encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including BIPOC, LGBTQ identifying people, gender-nonconforming people, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people who speak a language in addition to English.