Texas Athletics, in conjunction with the University of Texas, promotes and supports sustainability. We make sustainability a priority in all endeavors and encourage fans to do their part to create a clean and sustainable gameday environment.
Our goal is to "Bleed Orange, Live Green!"
ZERO WASTE ATHLETICS EVENTS
- 90 percent of waste generated at Athletics facilities will be composted or recycled.
- Zero Waste events:
- Significantly minimize our environmental footprint.
- Help UT reach its campus-wide zero waste goal by 2020.
- Softball series – 90% diversion rate
- Soccer game – 95% diversion rate
- Softball series – 96.8% diversion rate
- Baseball series – 90% diversion rate
- Softball series – 90.7% diversion rate
- Baseball series – 95.6% diversion rate
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
- Recycle and compost correctly at Texas Athletics facilities.
- Not sure where to throw something away?
- Ask a Sustainability Squad member, or
- Look to the waste guidelines posted on every bin.
- Recycling bag dispensers are located in all tailgate lots.
- Take a bag.
- Fill it up with your bottles and cans.
- Leave the bag at your tailgate site. It's that easy!
ATHLETICS SUSTAINABILITY SQUAD
Since 2014, Texas Athletics has partnered with UT's Office of Sustainability and the Campus Environmental Center in overseeing the Sustainability Squad. The Sustainability Squad is a volunteer group that monitors compost and recycling bins, promotes sustainability and educates fans about Athletics’ Zero Waste 2017 initiative. Our green-shirted squad members are a recognizable part of Texas gamedasy and are helping motivate fans to achieve Zero Waste by 2017!
During the 2015-16 year, 215 volunteers served a total of 962 hours on the Sustainability Squad.
Want to be part of the Squad? Volunteer with us!
- July 1, 2016 - Texas Athletics wins College Sports Sustainability Makeover Contest
- April 26, 2016 - ‘Bleed orange, live green’ at Baseball, Softball weekend games
- April 22, 2014 - Softball hosts zero-waste weekend at McCombs Field April 25-27
- April 22, 2014 - UT Athletics and BASF announce winners of BASF Team Chemistry Challenge
- Dec. 20, 2011 - UT Athletics joins Green Sports Alliance
- Sept. 23, 2009 - Student-athletes orchestrate new recycling effort for UT Athletics
- Sept. 4, 2009 - Longhorns go green
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS
"Bleed Orange. Live Green" is sponsored by BASF, Coca-Cola, Fox 7 Austin, H-E-B and Republic Services. Each sponsor plays a significant role towards the success of the program. It begins with Coca-Cola's commitment to use a 24-ounce recyclable stadium cup. It continues with the support of the Sustainability Squad by BASF and Fox 7 actively promoting the program within the community. The program concludes with Republic Services' collection and recycling of the materials.