This is the 49th Earth Day, and The University of Texas at Austin is celebrating with a series of community events, informational sessions, clean ups and competitions. Read on to see how you want to participate and learn!
- 4/18 Our Mission to Clean Up 360 Million Tons of CO2: Join us for an Earth Month lecture by ClimateForce's Barney Swan. This lecture will feature students who will join the ClimateForce team in the Arctic this summer, 6 to 7:15 p.m., Texas Union Theater
- 4/13 Earth Day ATX Celebration, 12 to 7 p.m. at Huston Tilloston University
- 4/17 Earth Month and Biodiversity Day Tabling Extravaganza: Learn about sustainability, biodiversity, wellness and environmental organizations from faculty, landscaping and zero waste staff, student organizations, the Office of Sustainability, and a number of off-campus environmental organizations, 10 to 2 p.m., Speedway Mall near 21st Street This is also Bike to UT Day
- 4/24 Earth Day Fest: Make sustainable food in the dorms, participate in a live waste audit, learn about the Sustainability LLC, and other activities, 4 to 6 p.m., DHS Honors Quad near University Ave.
- 4/11 Science Under the Stars: All about frogs (and toads!) by Decio Correa, Brackenridge Field Laboratory, 2907 Lake Austin Blvd, Austin, Texas 78703
- 4/12 Save the Sharks by Dr. Greg Stunz (Hot Science, Cool Talks), 5:30 to 9 p.m.
- 4/15 TANC (Texas Athletics Nutrition Center) Trash Talk, 12 to 1 p.m., Texas Athletics Nutrition Center on the 6th floor of the North End Zone
- 4/16 Paige West presentation “Hard Choices & Opportunities: Environment and Economy," a PT2050 and Humanities Institute's Difficult Dialogues public panel, 7 to 9 p.m., Texas Union, Quadrangle Room, RSVP
- 4/17 TANC (Texas Athletics Nutrition Center) Trash Talk, 12 to 1 p.m., Texas Athletics Nutrition Center on the 6th floor of the North End Zone
- 4/19 TANC (Texas Athletics Nutrition Center) Trash Talk, 12 to 1 p.m., Texas Athletics Nutrition Center on the 6th floor of the North End Zone
Symposiums, Films and Competitions
- 4/3 3rd Sustainable Dog House Competition
- 4/4-6 Ethical Challenges in Cultural Stewardship the 13th Biennial Flair Symposium, Harry Ransom Center
- 4/16 Sustainability on Tap: A fast-paced session of graduate student research presentations accompanied by Black Star Co-op beer, 5 to 7 p.m., MAI 212
- 4/17 Sustainability on Tap - Undergrad Edition: A fast-paced session of undergraduate student presentations about campus sustainability projects with root beer floats to celebrate, 5 to 7 p.m., MAI 212
- 4/22 Sustainability Showdown, 6 to 7 p.m., GEA 105
- 4/25 CEC Wildlife Film Event showing films from the Wildlife Conservation Film Festival (WCFF) followed by discussion with peers, 6 to 8 p.m., SSB G1.310 Glen Maloney Room
- 4/26 Planet Texas Research Showcase, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Outdoors: Planting and Cleaning Up
- 4/6 Waller Creek Cleanup, Let's beat the last total tonnage of trash and recyclables removed from the creek! 8 to 11 a.m., Meet at the mustangs at 24th and San Jacinto. Register
- 4/12 Plant the Prairie event (the big one!), 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., SSB (west entrance)
- 4/17 Bike to UT Day, 8 a.m. to 10 a.m., Grab a few treats on your way to work, while supplies last!
- 4/26 Arbor Day Planting of native trees, shrubs and grasses to replace invasive species, build diversity and stabilize soils, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., along Waller Creek between 24th and Dean Keeton. Please register.
- 4/2 PRC Recycling Education Session, 2 to 3 p.m., PRC Commons
- 4/4 Trash to Treasure Sale, 9 to 2 p.m., Perry-Castañeda Library Plaza
- 4/4 Every Thursday look for items to reuse by visiting the Surplus Store, 3 to 7 p.m., Pickle Research Center (PRC 30). Enter at Burnet Road
- 4/5 Participate in a Resource Recovery Waste Audit (register), 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Plaza at the Perry-Castaneda Library main entrance
- 4/13 Volunteer with Texas Athletics: Texas Baseball Gameday Sustainability (register), 1:30 to 4:30 p.m., UFCU Dishc-Falk Field, 1300 E. MLK Blvd
- 4/20 Volunteer with Texas Athletics: Texas Softball Gameday Sustainability (register), 1 to 3 p.m., Red and Charline McCombs Field
- 4/27 Volunteer with Texas Athletics: Texas Baseball Gameday Sustainability (register), 3 to 7 p.m., UFCU Dishc-Falk Field, 1300 E. MLK Blvd
- 4/30 Zero Waste Hero Certification Workshop (register), 12 to 1:30 p.m., San Jacinto Residence Hall (SJC 210)
Joining a Community: Energy conservation, food, garden, zero waste and more
- 4/8 Campus Environmental Center Campfire, 6 to 7 p.m.
- 4/10 Farm Stand: Purchase organic and locally sourced produce, 11 to 4 p.m., Jester Plaza
- 4/21 Earth Day Garden Workshop at Apartments
- 4/22 Dark Tower: Sponsored by Longhorn Lights Out and the Office of Sustainability
- 4/24 Earth Day Special Farm Stand: Purchase organic and locally sourced produce, 11 to 4 p.m., Jester Plaza
- 4/24 Staff Sustainability Luncheon with Susan Harnden on wellness in the workplace, 12 to 1 p.m., San Jacinto Residence Hall Meeting Room
- 4/26 Longhorn Lights Out, 6 to 8 p.m., RLP 0.102
- 4/1 “Chasing Perfection: The Legacy of Architect John S. Chase” Opening Reception, 5 p.m., Mebane Gallery in Goldsmith Hall Exhibit will be open through May every day, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.