This is the 49th Earth Day, and The University of Texas at Austin is celebrating with a series of community events, informational sessions, clean ups and competitions. Read on to see how you want to participate and learn!
- 4/18 Our Mission to Clean Up 360 Million Tons of CO2: Join us for an Earth Month lecture by ClimateForce's Barney Swan. This lecture will feature students who will join the ClimateForce team in the Arctic this summer, 6 to 7:15 p.m., Texas Union Theater
- 4/13 Earth Day ATX Celebration, 12 to 7 p.m. at Huston Tilloston University
- 4/17 Earth Month and Biodiversity Day Tabling Extravaganza: Learn about sustainability, biodiversity, wellness and environmental organizations from faculty, landscaping and zero waste staff, student organizations, the Office of Sustainability, and a number of off-campus environmental organizations, 10 to 2 p.m., Speedway Mall near 21st Street This is also Bike to UT Day
- 4/24 Earth Day Fest: Make sustainable food in the dorms, participate in a live waste audit, learn about the Sustainability LLC, and other activities, 4 to 6 p.m., DHS Honors Quad near University Ave.
- 4/11 Science Under the Stars: All about frogs (and toads!) by Decio Correa, Brackenridge Field Laboratory, 2907 Lake Austin Blvd, Austin, Texas 78703
- 4/12 Save the Sharks by Dr. Greg Stunz (Hot Science, Cool Talks), 5:30 to 9 p.m.
- 4/15 TANC (Texas Athletics Nutrition Center) Trash Talk, 12 to 1 p.m., Texas Athletics Nutrition Center on the 6th floor of the North End Zone
- 4/16 Paige West presentation “Hard Choices & Opportunities: Environment and Economy," a PT2050 and Humanities Institute's Difficult Dialogues public panel, 7 to 9 p.m., Texas Union, Quadrangle Room, RSVP
- 4/17 TANC (Texas Athletics Nutrition Center) Trash Talk, 12 to 1 p.m., Texas Athletics Nutrition Center on the 6th floor of the North End Zone
- 4/19 TANC (Texas Athletics Nutrition Center) Trash Talk, 12 to 1 p.m., Texas Athletics Nutrition Center on the 6th floor of the North End Zone
Symposiums, Films and Competitions
- 4/3 3rd Sustainable Dog House Competition
- 4/4-6 Ethical Challenges in Cultural Stewardship the 13th Biennial Flair Symposium, Harry Ransom Center
- 4/16 Sustainability on Tap: A fast-paced session of graduate student research presentations accompanied by Black Star Co-op beer, 5 to 7 p.m., MAI 212
- 4/17 Sustainability on Tap - Undergrad Edition: A fast-paced session of undergraduate student presentations about campus sustainability projects with root beer floats to celebrate, 5 to 7 p.m., MAI 212
- 4/22 Sustainability Showdown, 7 to 8 p.m., GEA 105
- 4/25 CEC Wildlife Film Event showing films from the Wildlife Conservation Film Festival (WCFF) followed by discussion with peers, 6 to 8 p.m., SSB G1.310 Glen Maloney Room
- 4/26 Planet Texas Research Showcase, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Outdoors: Planting and Cleaning Up
- 4/12 Plant the Prairie event (the big one!), 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., SSB (west entrance)
- 4/17 Bike to UT Day, 8 a.m. to 10 a.m., Grab a few treats on your way to work, while supplies last!
- 4/2 PRC Recycling Education Session, 2 to 3 p.m., PRC Commons
- 4/4 Trash to Treasure Sale, 9 to 2 p.m., Perry-Castañeda Library Plaza
- 4/4 Every Thursday look for items to reuse by visiting the Surplus Store, 3 to 7 p.m., Pickle Research Center (PRC 30). Enter at Burnet Road
- 4/5 Participate in a Resource Recovery Waste Audit (register), 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Plaza at the Perry-Castaneda Library main entrance
- 4/13 Volunteer with Texas Athletics: Texas Baseball Gameday Sustainability (register), 1:30 to 4:30 p.m., UFCU Dishc-Falk Field, 1300 E. MLK Blvd
- 4/20 Volunteer with Texas Athletics: Texas Softball Gameday Sustainability (register), 1 to 3 p.m., Red and Charline McCombs Field
- 4/27 Volunteer with Texas Athletics: Texas Baseball Gameday Sustainability (register), 3 to 7 p.m., UFCU Dishc-Falk Field, 1300 E. MLK Blvd
- 4/30 Zero Waste Hero Certification Workshop (register), 12 to 1:30 p.m., San Jacinto Residence Hall (SJC 210)
Joining a Community: Energy conservation, food, garden, zero waste and more
- 4/8 Campus Environmental Center Campfire, 6 to 7 p.m.
- 4/10 Farm Stand: Purchase organic and locally sourced produce, 11 to 4 p.m., Jester Plaza
- 4/21 Earth Day Garden Workshop at Apartments
- 4/22 Dark Tower: Sponsored by Longhorn Lights Out and the Office of Sustainability
- 4/24 Earth Day Special Farm Stand: Purchase organic and locally sourced produce, 11 to 4 p.m., Jester Plaza
- 4/24 Staff Sustainability Luncheon with Susan Harnden on wellness in the workplace, 12 to 1 p.m., San Jacinto Residence Hall Meeting Room
- 4/26 Longhorn Lights Out, 6 to 8 p.m., RLP 0.102
- 4/1 “Chasing Perfection: The Legacy of Architect John S. Chase” Opening Reception, 5 p.m., Mebane Gallery in Goldsmith Hall Exhibit will be open through May every day, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.